Microsoft would be close to its first regulatory win to close its $68.7 billion purchase of Activision Blizzard.. In accordance with ReutersThe European Commission will give its go-ahead to the acquisition of the California publisher, believing that Redmond’s recent deals with Nintendo and NVIDIA will be enough to dispel fears that the deal is anti-competitive.

The aforementioned report indicates that the information comes from three people familiar with the situation, although it will take several weeks to hear an official opinion. Recall that the European Commission set March 23 as the deadline to officially approve or reject the purchase, but then moved it to April 25.

Had the data been accurate, Microsoft would have entered into important negotiations to finalize the acquisition of Activision Blizzard. and if good This is not the only regulatory stumbling block that remains to be resolved.gaining approval from the European Union’s executive body could set a precedent that will tip the scales in their favor against the other two organizations now questioning the agreement: the US FTC and the UK CMA.

Report Reuters became known just a week after Microsoft held a presentation in Brussels in defense of the purchase of Activision Blizzard. At the time, the Redmonds claimed that Xbox had only 20% market share in the European Economic Area.and that without even acquiring a publisher call of Duty could reach the power of Sony, which monopolized the remaining 80%.

Agreements with Nintendo and NVIDIA will be critical to closing the deal to buy Activision Blizzard.

For the European Commission, the key statements would be those that Microsoft did not accidentally make before its conference in Belgium. Those in Redmond are not only legally required to wear call of Duty on Nintendo Switch for 10 years, but also signed an agreement to publish Xbox games for PC on NVIDIA GeForce Now.

Both measures have been cataloged as part of publicity stunt to refute Sony’s accusations that Microsoft wants call of Duty be an Xbox exclusive. However, all indications are that this would work with European regulators, who would no longer put “but” to the implementation of the agreement.

If Europe does give Microsoft its consent to buy Activision Blizzard, it will be interesting to see the consequences of this decision. But not only in front of their colleagues from the CMA and FTC, but also in front of Sony itself. Then it wouldn’t be impossible for the Japanese to change their minds and sign a pact with the Redmond natives to ensure continuity. call of Duty on the PlayStation.

Brad SmithPresident of Microsoft, said in Brussels that he goes everywhere the presence of an envelope with a copy of the contract which they sent to Sony before Christmas to ensure continuity call of Duty on the PlayStation. A message clearly addressed to Jim Ryan, noting that Xbox does indeed have a desire to end this sprawling romance.

It remains to be seen how the story will continue. For now, the CMA has hinted that it could force Microsoft to sell call of Duty to approve the purchase of Activision Blizzard, which the Americans have already resolutely refused. At the same time, the FTC filed a lawsuit to block the acquisition, although it would not have had everything to win.

Source: Hiper Textual

Previous articleBill Gates evaluates effectiveness of US sanctions against Chinese companiesScience and technology20:21 | 02 March 2023
Next articleThe moon has a very strange diurnal cycle. That’s what happens if people settle there. Science and technology20:21 | 02 March 2023
I am Bret Jackson, a professional journalist and author for Gadget Onus, where I specialize in writing about the gaming industry. With over 6 years of experience in my field, I have built up an extensive portfolio that ranges from reviews to interviews with top figures within the industry. My work has been featured on various news sites, providing readers with insightful analysis regarding the current state of gaming culture.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here