Many people probably think that it was yesterday when Samsung officially unveiled its first foldable device, but that’s not the case. This Wednesday, the South Korean company introduced the fourth iteration of this concept, released in February 2019. An iteration that, how could it be otherwise, was christened the Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4.
The main purpose of this new model is the same as the first member of this family: convince consumers of the value of foldable phones and their capabilities. And the thing is, almost four years later, these types of phones are still niche products in terms of sales.
Galaxy ZFold 4 makes several changes compared to the previous model. However, this is more of an evolution in the right direction than a revolution or significant turning point for this family of devices.
What has changed in the Galaxy Z Fold 4?
- The outer screen is a little wider than before, which brings its proportions a bit closer to a regular screen. Remember that previous models have always had longer outer screens than a regular phone.
- The front camera, located below the internal screen, is now slightly less visible than before, thanks to a new arrangement of diffuse-type sub-pixels.
- The rear photo module now has a brighter 50MP main camera as well as a 3x telephoto lens. The previous model, for reference, had a 12-megapixel main camera and a 2x telephoto lens. What’s left intact is the 12-megapixel ultra-wide-angle lens.
- The large internal display can now drop the refresh rate down to 1Hz when needed, helping to reduce power consumption.
- The Galaxy Z Fold 4 is powered by Snapdragon 8 Gen1+, Qualcomm’s most advanced processor yet.
- The hinge is a little thinner than before, the case weighs about 10 grams less, and the bezels around the screen are thinner.
- The inner panel is slightly stronger thanks to a multi-layered structure that the brand claims reduces damage caused by external impacts.
- The outer screen is protected by Corning Gorilla Glass Victus+, which is a minor evolution of the Gorilla Glass Victus found on the previous model.
In the area of softwareSamsung has implemented several features that try to increase the usefulness of a product with such a folding screen. it’s the same first mobile phone to go on sale with Android 12Lversion of the operating system designed specifically for flip phones and devices with large screens.
Among the software innovations implemented by Samsung we find:
- A new taskbar similar to the desktop taskbar – typical of Android 12L – allows you to quickly switch applications or activate various options related to pop-ups or multitasking.
- Google and Microsoft apps support drag and drop, allowing you to quickly copy and paste links, photos, and more from one app to another. These apps have also been adapted to make better use of the large folding screen.
- The mobile phone is still compatible with the S-Pen, which, yes, is not stored inside the phone, but in a case that is sold separately.
- Multiple video and photo modes using the folding screen (such as Capture View, Dual Preview or Rear Cam Selfie). Many of these were also available in previous models.
Features Galaxy Z Fold 4
|Characteristic||Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4|
|Main screen||7.6″ QXGA+
Dynamic AMOLED 2X
Infinity Flex Display (2176×1812, 21.6:18)
Adaptive refresh rate 120Hz (1~120Hz)
|external screen||6.2″ HD+
2x dynamic AMOLED display
Adaptive refresh rate 120Hz (48~120Hz)
|folded dimensions||67.1 × 155.1 × 15.8 mm (hinge) ∼ 14.2 mm (arch)|
|Expanded Dimensions||130.1 × 155.1 × 6.3 mm|
|Front-camera||10 MP sensor; f/2.2 aperture lens; pixel size: 1.22 µm; Viewing angle: 85°|
|under screen camera||4MP sensor; f/1.8 aperture lens; pixel size: 2.0 µm; Viewing Angle: 80º|
|ultra wide camera||12 MP sensor; f/2.2 aperture lens; pixel size: 1.12 µm; Viewing angle: 123°|
|wide angle camera||50 MP sensor; Dual pixel autofocus; OIS; f/1.8 aperture lens; pixel size: 1.0 µm; Viewing angle: 85°|
|Telephoto lens (3x optical)||10 MP sensor; efficiency; f/2.4 aperture lens; OIS; pixel size: 1.0 µm; Viewing Angle: 36º|
|CPU||Snapdragon 8 Generation 1+|
|Cargo||25W wired, also compatible with wireless charging and reverse charging|
|connectivity||5G, Wi-Fi 6E, Bluetooth 5.2, eSIM, DualSIM, USB-C, GPS, etc.|
|Biometrics||Fingerprint reader on the side|
When will Samsung’s new foldable smartphone go on sale? What will his price be?
The Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 can now be reserved through the Samsung website and select authorized vendors. The phone, however, won’t go on sale until August 26th.
Three storage versions (256GB, 512GB, and 1TB) will be sold, although the availability of each varies by market. It will also be available in three colors: Gray Green, Phantom Black and Beige. An exclusive color called burgundy will also be available on the Samsung page.
The price of the phone has not yet been revealed, but we will update this article when it becomes official.
Source: Hiper Textual