There is something very paradoxical about bleach. It is constantly urged not to drink it, even in its supposedly medicinal versions, as it can be very hazardous to health. However, sometimes we see a warning on the packaging of some brands that this suitable for drinking water disinfection. Moreover, it is even recommended to be used for cleaning fruits and vegetables. How can it be?

Clearly, the key factor is dose. It’s not the same as drinking a bottle of bleach, like when we drink water from our nose, than using the amount indicated on the label, or for disinfecting water or washing vegetables. However, it is interesting that not all bleaches are suitable for this. After all, if all of them were suitable for water disinfection in very small doses, it would not be necessary to indicate this on the label.

And rightly so, before deciding to disinfect water or drinks, we must take into account two things. On the one hand, then does not always need to be disinfectedNot with bleach or in any way. And, on the other hand, not every bleach is suitable for this.

When should we disinfect water with bleach?

As a rule, the water we consume is disinfected. With the exception of countries that, due to lack of economic resources, do not have proper sanitation. The problem arises when emergencies occur, such as a hurricane or earthquake, in which supplies may be disrupted and bleach disinfection.

As for fruits and vegetables, it is usually enough washing them with water. Of course, it’s good to rub each piece, it’s not worth it put them under the faucet no more. However, if people who are immunocompromised or pregnant are going to eat them, it may be important to sanitize them. And this is done precisely with the help of bleach, suitable for disinfecting drinking water.

Why don’t all options work?

Commonly referred to as bleach sodium hypochloritealthough in general this applies to any substance in water solution with strong force oxidizingwhich is used as disinfectant and bleach. The latter is possible due to the presence chlorine in its formula.

Therefore, this does not include only sodium hypochlorite, which we usually use to clean or wash clothes. It also includes the famous chlorine dioxide, which supposedly cures almost everything. All of them are dangerous to use. They can cause symptoms ranging from nausea to various types of respiratory problems. In the worst cases, if action is not taken in time, it can even become deadly intoxication. However, if the dosages indicated on the label of bleaches suitable for disinfecting drinking water are observed, nothing should happen.

As for the reason why it should be bleach what is indicated on the package, the main thing in additives. Some components like fragrances or alkalizatorslike caustic soda, can be much more dangerous, even in small doses.

In fact, alkalizing agents are used to prevent some of the chlorine from evaporating in a highly acidic environment and losing bleaching power. The problem is that may affect antimicrobial strength, so they are accompanied by higher chlorine concentrations. If the substance itself is already quite toxic and also contains an increased amount of chlorine, then the final product will be much more dangerous even at low doses recommended for water disinfection.

To all this, the key is always in do not innovate and follow the manufacturer’s instructions. These types of products have gone through a lot of testing. By the way, unlike those that are sold as miraculous healing substances. Therefore, we must be guided by what the labeling of commercial bleaches indicates. This is the only way to safely consume bleach.

Source: Hiper Textual

Previous articleThe legs of the avatars of Horizon Worlds and the future of the metaverse
Next articleThis robotic vacuum cleaner is self-cleaning and has now been left on Amazon for a brutal price.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here